So Many Threads

Tuesday, June 03, 2014


This has been happening. I can't tell you how many times I've had to change the thread on my sewing machine. SO. MUCH. WORK! But, oh so worth it. 


My dining room table has been turned into a quilting table. I've arranged the chairs around it so that they take most of the weight of the quilt as it turns every which way, saving me a little bit of effort as I build up enormous quilting muscles in my forearms. How do people do this all day as a job?! You need to be as strong as yak (!) as you manoeuvre the many-layered beast under the needle. I've stitched around every animal in letter groups from A - T, and am feeling very tired indeed of all of these loose ends and bits of thread that need to be sewn through to the back of the quilt... 


...but it's my fault there are so many threads. I decided to do two lines of free motion edging along each animal and letter shape: one that is very neat and just in the right place, and one that is really free and wiggly, creating a bit of movement and out-of-the-lines colouring. Very Happy Indeed with the overall look and feel, not so happy about the many ends that need tidying up!

Next up: edging of animals U - Z. Then, sew up the quilt back and start quilting! Tally ho.

You Might Also Like

7 comments