Casting Off and Plying Up

Monday, February 10, 2014

This year, I resolved to finish more. It's slow going, but I've made a good start on getting things done from my pile of unfinished objects. This weekend I bought giant storage boxes and sorted out all of my fabrics and yarns. Now, time to finish the pile of knitting projects-in-progress. Oh my.

I finished knitting and blocking the Man Socks.


They are slightly wider around the cuff than the last pair, although I think that's because I got lazy and did a 2 x 2 rib instead of 1 x 1. Still, they'll stay up and they'll be warm and cosy! I only found one knot while knitting three skeins of Drops Fabel, so I'm quite impressed. The yarn also knits up really easily.

I tried out a new type of heel - a Fish Lips Kiss heel (the name makes me laugh every time I say it) - and it knit up fairly quickly. Now, I see kissy fish lips every time I look at these socks. Or monkeys. I'm not sure I'd use this heel on every sock, but it was really easy to knit on toe-up socks and could be a definite go-to pattern in case of sock emergencies.


I also finally finished knitting all of the pieces for my Strawberry Pi cardigan. I'm saving the sewing up for a rainy day in front of the telly.


In the spirit of "getting things done," I also plied up my teeny tiny sock singles. I decided not to do a third bobbin; instead, I navajo-plied the singles into super soft 3-ply yarn. I wound each one up and will wash it this week. Not quite enough to knit a large pair of socks, but a good start on a sock stash that can later be dyed! Navajo-plying is a lot easier than I though it would be, thanks to this youtube video demonstration.


And finally, while I was in the plying mood, I plied the two mish-mashy singles to produce this soft stripey DK yarn. Next time, I'll definitely add more tail locks. I can't wait to see how this will knit up.

I still have loads to get through, including two unfinished quilts! And we're already half-way through February. Oh dear. 

You Might Also Like

2 comments