A little bit of knitting

Thursday, November 21, 2013


I have been doing a little bit of knitting.

Okay - a lot of knitting. I've knitted jumpers, booties, baby cardigans and have even started knitting a lamb. I like to think of it as my winter sport. Brr. As I've been terrible with taking photographs and sharing all things knitty, I've decided to start with the most current: this is on my needles today. I have only five VERY long rows left to knit.

I took this project with me to Wales in an attempt to get it finished (it's going to be a gift, and has been on the go for a long while), and made excellent progress in the cold nights and hours of driving time.


It is a Holden Shawlette, a small scarf-like wrap with a lace detail border. Very good for winter, methinks.

This is my second H.S. (the first was knit in a lovely olive colour, for my friend Anne). I've used the same yarn - a beautiful Araucania Ranco Solid - but this time in charcoal. It's a thin 4-ply yarn with lots of subtle variations in grey tones throughout.. The yarn has been discontinued, so it's really a bit of a treasure.


The lace border doesn't look like much now, but once it's done and blocked, it will form lacy scallops around the edge with a picot cast-off border. 

Blocking is like knitty magic. It makes even the ugliest ducklings look like swans. 

The rows are incredibly long now, having increased exponentially throughout the pattern. There are hundreds of stitches, stretching out over two metres. 

Thank goodness there are only five rows left!

You Might Also Like

2 comments