Blocking, Knitting, and Lawn Fabric

Thursday, July 04, 2013

The one good thing about moving house is that you tend to accumulate boxes. This is good news for the average knitter - boxes mean a whole lot of blocking boards!


So, out came the pins and the "pending" knitting projects that have been waiting to be blocked. All the boxes are now decorated with bits of stitched loveliness, slowly taking the right shape with a bit of coaxing and a wet tea towel. 


Blocking makes such a difference to knitted projects. For those who are a bit confused at this point, blocking is what you do a knitted garment before you sew it up, or after it is complete. You pin it to the correct dimensions or shape, and then you spritz it with water or cover it with a damp tea towel. 

When it is dry, it is blocked, and can be removed. I usually leave it for a day or two as I quite like the natural drying process and leaving the fibres some room to breathe, but I know some knitters who forego the natural drying process and steam their garments into shape using an iron and a light steam setting.


So, while those are all drying, I'm gathering supplies for my next project. Debbie Bliss's Fair Isle Cardigan made from her exquisitely soft (and ridiculously expensive) baby cashmerino. It seems that I'm surrounded by pregnant people at the moment; there are no fewer than five baby announcements over the next few months. Now that I think about it, most of my knitting is for gifts. 


And, in other news, there is a gorgeous fabric shop just behind our new house. Stitch Fabrics (formerly Rosenberg & Son) has the most amazing little shop which is packed floor to ceiling with gorgeous fabrics. I popped in for a quick visit and chose this lovely cotton lawn for a shirt I'm planning on making. 

One Day. 

When I manage to unpack.



But for now: mmm. And, by the by, the shirt I'm planning on making is the Sew Liberated Esme Top (image borrowed from the Sew Liberated website - you must visit them, such beautiful patterns!).


I bought a bit of extra yardage for "just in case" - you never know when you might need to replace a sleeve or something! I learnt my lesson from the last time I bought fabric for a top: I was half a metre short. I'm not taking that chance again. (Maybe just an excuse to have lots of pretty fabric in my stash!)

You Might Also Like

2 comments