Wednesday WIP: Spring Sampler

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

It's very nearly - almost - spring. The skies are a bit gloomy, but every now and then a beam of sunlight breaks through and you have to resist the urge to stretch out and nap in the yellow warmth.


Here's something I've been working on. 

It needs a good iron, but it's still very much a work in progress, so let's pretend those creases aren't there.

It's a spring sampler. I drew up a little phrase, mapped out my colours, and started stitching on a beautiful blend of linen I bought for a special occasion. I'm trying to use as many different stitches as possible to get a good variety, worthy of the sampler title.


We've got satin stitch and chain stitch, woven back stitch and short-and-long-rows.


Fern stitch and lazy daisies, back stitch and colonial knots.


French knots, stem stitch, outline stitch and a fancy woven stitch which I like to think of as "pretzel stitch" (in the pink "i" above). It has a very serious name, I'll look it up for you. 

Soon, I'm going to add in the rest of the phrase, a few additional lazy daises and cross stitches, and a bee. Then, when it's just so, I'll frame it in a hoopla, pour out some lemonade, and sit in the garden a bit. Just for fun. Hello, spring.

You Might Also Like

4 comments